Problems with DependencyChecker in Drop 5

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:24 PM
Edited Oct 22, 2010 at 5:15 PM

1. Docs and readme should include advice to users to Set execution policy in PS to "unrestricted". If not set to unrestricted, almost all dependency checks will fail with required apps and libraries installed.

2. The current Func v1.0 doesn't include Funq.Silverlight.dll. You must download Func Beta (Funq.0.1.226.1-bin.zip) to get Funq.Silverlight.dll. Do you plan to test and upgrade the dependency to v1.0's Func.dll?

3. Advise users that a local instance of SQL Server 200? [Express] or later is required for the sample database.

4. The readme files for Funq.Silverlight.dll and the two Silverlight3UnitTestingFramework DLLs should indicate that these files must be unblocked. Otherwise initial builds fail with errors.

5. Users should be advised to start the Development Fabric and Development Storage before running projects that use Windows Azure storage.

For more details, see my Solving Dependency Problems in Drop 5 of p&p’s Windows Phone 7 Developer Guide post to the OakLeaf Systems blog.

Cheers,

--rj

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Yeah, what a totally unstatisfying experience. 

1) All dependency checks did fail even tho they should not have.  The Event Logs say excecution of scripts is disabled and gives a power shell get-help about_signing (the release notes say the zipfile is not signed)

2) I find no Funq.Silverlight.dll in the Funq zip file mentioned above

What am I missing??

TIA,

George

Coordinator
Oct 22, 2010 at 3:53 PM

We are working on this issue. We wil publish an update hopefully today.

It turns out there are some differences between Vista, Win 7 and Win Server 2008 and we want to make sure it works on all those platforms. Also, we finally got all the legal terms in order to include some external dependencies in the package (e.g. MOQ and FunQ). That should further simplify the experience.

Thanks for the patience.

Eugenio

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Thanks, Eugenio.

I've updated my Solving Dependency Problems in Drop 5 of p&p’s Windows Phone 7 Developer Guide blog post of 10/13/2010 to add Eugenio's message. I'll update the post again when the fix is published to CodePlex.

Cheers,

--rj

Oct 22, 2010 at 5:14 PM

George,

Sorry about the Func beta link error. The binaries are in Funq.0.1.226.1-bin.zip. Corrected my original thread and blog post.

Thanks for the heads-up.

--rj

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:42 PM
Edited Oct 23, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Humm the dependency checker doesn't seem to work (Win 7 64bit), my execution policy has always been unrestricted. Regardless of what get-executionpolicy tells me (which is unrestricted), the event log still complaints about it. I suspected it was due to some execution policy tied to DependencyChecker.exe:

After some searching:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1485648/running-powershell-script-from-explorer-execution-policy-error

(and from that page this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2917a564-dbbc-4da7-82c8-fe08b3ef4e6d&DisplayLang=en).

that fixed it for me.

(quite handy as I'm going to write some exes that call PosH in the next few weeks LOL).

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Hi all!

Thanks for the patience. I just uploaded a new build of the self-extractable zip archive. It is not signed yet, so you will still need to:

1. Unblock the content (file properties -> unblock)
  2. Change the PowerShell execution policy to "remoteSigned"

Please try it out and let us know!

Eugenio

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Thanks, Eugenio.

I'll update Solving Dependency Problems in Drop 5 of p&p’s Windows Phone 7 Developer Guide with the above info.

Cheers,

--rj

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Hi all,

Just uploaded a new package for the source code. It is now signed and minor updates to the readme have been included.

Feedback very welcome!

Eugenio